Newquay Community Orchard
We aim to provide education, job opportunities, food security, environmental protection, community building, and community projects that engage and empower local communities with the skills and opportunities to improve their surroundings for the betterment of their health and wellbeing.
There are numerous activities associated with the creation and management of Newquay Orchard. The site requires initial construction in the form of:
• Site clearance and preparation
• Tree planting
• Fence building
• Path creation
• Cob wall building
• Allotment creation
This is followed by the creation of core teams that run each section of the site, these are:
- The orchard – Managing the 5 acre traditional Cornish organic orchard, consisting of maintenance (planting, pruning, weeding etc.), habitat creation (wildlife habitat patches), harvesting, quality control, education, workshops, and public liaison.
- Community Growing Space – Construction and maintenance of the walled growing space. Growing produce in the allotment beds, polytunnel, quality control, education, workshops, and public liaison.
- Mental Health Day Care – promotion of social inclusion through horticultural therapy (to include music, exercise, and arts and crafts therapy), education (key skills, apprenticeships, horticultural qualifications), volunteer opportunities (throughout the orchard, in our café, and at events)
- Education – Creating and delivering curriculum based workshops to local schools ranging from the importance of biodiversity, ecology and conservation, food production and self sufficiency, and Cornish heritage. Creating and delivering interest and historic workshops to local residents and visitors ranging from willow weaving, foraging, organic food production, and cob building.
- Events – Large yearly events such as Christmas markets, music and food festivals, town fete, and seasonal events. Smaller monthly events such as a farmers market, music gigs, etc