Main Leader for Fowlmere Bullfinches Wildlife Explorers
RSPB Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire
At the RSPB we are passionate about young people and about nature. Our youth groups have the
potential to play a really important role in local communities, offering young people regular
opportunities to get to know the wild places close to them and to be supported by enthusiastic
adult volunteers. Our youth groups are fun and sociable, keeping young people engaged and
interested whilst enabling them to discover and learn new things that will ultimately empower
them to help save nature. The Wildlife Explorer groups are for 8 to 12 year olds.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to be an inspiring leader, working alongside a
team of assistant and junior leaders to run activities that encourage young people to explore
and develop a passion for nature.
As a Youth Group Main Leader you will be:
- Designing, planning and delivering a programme of monthly outdoor activities and meetings
that give young people opportunities to connect with and take and for nature through site
visits, practical conservation tasks and outdoor learning.
- Coordinating and leading a team of assistant and junior leaders to help run the group,
agreeing roles for each team members to ensure meetings are planned and delivered safely and
- Ensuring your group is promoted within the local community and on social media to raise
awareness and grow group membership.
- Ensuring all meetings are risk assessed and Safeguarding and first aid standards are met
including attending relevant training.
- Liaising with site owners at meeting venues and ensuring the group has access to equipment
and resources as necessary.
- Responsibility for ensuring records of attendance are kept that adhere to GDPR regulations,
and ensuring the group’s finances are managed responsibly.
- Regularly inviting feedback from leaders and group members to evaluate the success of group
meetings and implementing improvements as required.
- Communicating with parents, members of your group and other youth group leaders.
- Working with your Country Youth Group Contact to ensure the smooth running of the group.
Essential skills and experience in the following areas:
- Experience of working with young people, creating and leading exciting activities based on
the natural world.
- Excellent communication skills with people of all ages including young people, other
volunteers and parents.
- Ability to lead, motivate and organise people and work as a team to share tasks and
- Be self-motivated and able to show initiative.
- A willingness to learn and to undertake training as needed for the role.
- Ability to be an excellent representative of the RSPB within the local community.
- You will also need access to the internet and have an email address for communication.
It would be desirable (though not essential) if you also have the following:
- Bags of experience and a natural ability for communicating your passion for nature to young
people. You don’t need to be a wildlife expert though - you will learn a lot as you go along.
- Experience of writing and completing risk assessments.
- Knowledge of budget management.
- Understanding of GDPR guidelines and experience of storing data and documents in line with
these, although full training can be provided.
- Experience of induction and leading teams of volunteers.
- Experience of promoting events or activities.
- An understanding of current Safeguarding expectations and information, although full
training will be provided.
Find out more & apply