NPT Engineering & Environmental Ltd
South West, South and South East of England and Wales
£38,000 - £42,000 pa
Closing date: Friday, 8th March 2024
Contract: Full Time Role
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Initially based from home with site visits required predominantly
across the South West, South and South East of England and Wales.
NPT Engineering & Environmental Ltd has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior
Ecologist to join our team. We are looking for a motivated individual to help continue to
deliver a professional, experienced and reliable service to our existing key client base. The
successful candidate will work alongside the Environmental Director and lead our Ecological
Services in providing technical ecological support to the business and our clients, along with
undertaking ecological surveys, report writing and project management.
You will lead the ecological input into construction projects and will be responsible for
managing ecological subcontractors when necessary.
You will be responsible for approving scope of works and undertaking technical reviews. Good
communication skills are essential as you will be liaising with clients, project managers,
statutory bodies and other project stakeholders including contractors. The role requires the
successful Senior Ecologist to be involved in all stages of projects from concept and planning
submission, through to the implementation of mitigation strategies and discharge of associated
The role will also require you to assist NPT Engineering & Environmental Ltd with expanding
their Ecological Services and growing their client base. A generous bonus scheme is in place
for work successfully generated with new clients.
Duties will include:
- Production of the following technical items: Preliminary Ecological Appraisal, Ecological
Impact Assessment, Biodiversity Net Gain Metrics, Habitats Regulation Assessment.
- Undertaking or leading of ecological surveys for a range of fauna, including bats, birds,
badger, great crested newts, reptiles, dormouse, water vole and otter etc.
- Undertaking or leading of habitat surveys, with the ability to differentiate main broad and
priority habitat types in the field.
- Writing/completion of technical reports based on the surveys completed and issue
- The production of method statements/mitigation plans and European Protected Species
- Liaise with and advise, site managers, engineers, planners and others associated with a
- Build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Evening and dawn bat surveys.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a good understanding of wildlife legislation and be able to communicate this clearly
to colleagues, clients and contractors.
- Have a degree within a relevant discipline.
- Be conscientious, self-driven and motivated, keen to develop themselves and the Company
further within the industry.
- Have at least five years’ experience working within an ecological consultancy.
- Hold multiple protected species licences (level 2 or above).
- Hold full membership with CIEEM or equivalent professional body.
- Hold a full UK driving licence.
- Have excellent attention to detail and communication skills.
- Be competent in GIS/QGIS and the MS packages (word/excel/outlook etc).
- Take personal responsibility for their health and safety whilst at work and conduct work in
a safe, professional and responsible manner.
- Experience with software such as the MS Office suite and QGIS.
- Hold survey licences for badgers/barn owl/bat/GCN.
- Registered consultant under the Bat Mitigation Class Licence system.
- Competent and experienced in compiling European Protected Species Mitigation licences
- Competent in bat sound analysis software (e.g. Kaleidoscope Pro).
What we can offer:
- A generous bonus scheme for work successfully generated with new clients.
- Work from home initially with site visits based predominantly across the South West, South
and South East of England and Wales.
- Business mileage allowance.
- Flexible working hours in accordance with necessary targets/workload.
- 25 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays.
- Company funded training and/or funding/time for continuous, professional development (CPD).
- Option for employee contributory health cover.
- Company pension scheme.
To apply, please send a covering letter along with your CV to [email protected]