sustainability, food, farming & horticulture
Closing date: Tuesday, 5th March 2024
3 days left
This is a varied and valuable position within a highly purpose-driven organisation. You will
have opportunities to analyse, create, and communicate meaningful insights about the impact of
Bonsucro is the leading global sustainability platform and standard for sugarcane, one of the world’s most important crops.
The Impact & Insights unit of the Corporate Services Team provides monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) services within Bonsucro, and direct MEL support to grant recipients (grantees) of the Bonsucro Impact Fund. Generating data, insights, and learning from MEL activities adds value to our members, it supports Bonsucro’s continuous improvement, tracks our impact, and is vital to achieving Bonsucro’s mission: to collectively accelerate the sustainable production and uses of sugarcane.
Reporting to the Senior Digitalisation & Impact Manager, the Senior MEL Coordinator is responsible for preparing, analysing, synthesising and communicating data gathered from many aspects of Bonsucro’s work. The results and insights generated by these MEL activities inform decision-making, add value to Bonsucro colleagues and members, and enable effective communications about our impact.
The Senior MEL Coordinator also holds specific responsibility for MEL coaching and technical support to grantees delivering projects funded by the Bonsucro Impact Fund (BIF). Working in collaboration with the Impact Funding Manager, this MEL support is critical to ensure that grantees are able to track their activity and their impact, and meet the reporting requirements of their grant. It is also vital for demonstrating how the wider BIF portfolio contributes to the Bonsucro Strategy.
Analyse MEL information from a range of Bonsucro activities to generate
and share insights relevant to operational and strategic priorities.
- Compile and prepare information for analysis, to ensure good data quality, transparency,
consistency, and relevance to the Bonsucro strategic plan.
Create resources that translate data and insights into learning and tools that add
value to our staff and our members, support Bonsucro’s continuous improvement, and track
Construct MEL frameworks, tools and guidance for and with colleagues as required
for Bonsucro activities and projects, to ensure quality, consistency and relevance of MEL and
Critically evaluate MEL plans (logframes) at the BIF application stage to inform
the selection process.
Assess MEL support needs and capacity of BIF grantees in order to deliver an
appropriate and effective programme of support. This involves identifying gaps in plans and skills,
exploring solutions and offering proactive recommendations.
Highlight issues and risks to relevant colleagues including the Digitalisation
& Impact Manager, Impact Funding Manager and Global Leadership Team so that they can be
discussed and resolved.
Collaborate with colleagues at all levels to deliver required quarterly/annual reports and
tracking progress against key indicators.
Communicate information, insights and key messages from MEL activities to a range of audiences,
from Board members to sugar-mill staff, in relevant and accessible formats e.g. data
dashboards, written reports and verbal presentations.
Explain to BIF grantees the Bonsucro MEL framework and guidance to ensure good
understanding and high quality reporting.
Guide and advise BIF grantees and Bonsucro colleagues on development of project MEL
resources, highlighting MEL methodologies, adaptive management, tools and good practice
appropriate to different goals and settings. This includes support to develop logframes and
baselines to track project progress and outcomes.
Support BIF grantees and Bonsucro colleagues to collate and interpret MEL information and
draw conclusions in order to build MEL capabilities and skills throughout Bonsucro, and
enhance our collective impact.
- Role-model Bonsucro’s Principles of accountability, collaboration, credibility and inclusivity when
engaging with internal and external stakeholders.
- Nurture and maintain a positive work environment and culture through both individual and team
engagement in line with our articulated culture and values.
Deliver regular written and verbal updates, on-time and to given specifications, to the
Digitalisation & Impact Manager, Impact Funding Manager, and other stakeholders. This includes
contributions to KPI reporting and governance body updates.
- Organise and deliver, in collaboration with the Digitalisation & Impact Manager and Impact
Funding Manager, a programme of MEL support to BIF grantees and the wider BIF
programme to build capacity for adaptive project management and high quality impact reporting.
Complete data preparation and analysis in line with agreed
processes to ensure high quality, consistent and relevant reporting. This includes
qualitative data such as survey responses, and quantitative data such as certification metrics.
Construct reports, case studies, stories of change, and learning materials based
on MEL data from a range of Bonsucro activities, including BIF-supported projects. These resources
will be used to inform decision-making, demonstrate the value of Bonsucro services, and promote
knowledge, best practice and innovation on sustainability in sugarcane.
Capture themes, key messages and insights from learning events and workshop
discussions, like the BIF Community of Practice, to add depth to MEL reporting and
identify areas for deeper exploration.
Deliver relevant records, resources and evidence to demonstrate compliance with the ISEAL Code of
- Substantial experience working in a predominately MEL (monitoring, evaluation and learning) or closely relevant capacity e.g. programme management.
- Excellent understanding of MEL principles and methodologies, both quantitative and qualitative, with an awareness of how different approaches are suitable for different settings and topics.
- Experience identifying appropriate and pragmatic approaches to MEL depending on the capacity and needs of the stakeholders involved, and adapting plans to changing circumstances.
- Demonstrated skill critically analysing and synthesizing data.
- Demonstrated skill generating and communicating insights from data.
- Experience working successfully with international colleagues and stakeholders.
- Excellent command of the English language, and confident engaging with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese (written and verbal) in order to deliver MEL support to BIF grantees in Latin America.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to adapt to different audiences and deliver information with clarity.
- Substantial experience independently producing high-quality materials including reports, briefing papers, case studies, stories of change and learning materials.
- Experienced and comfortable independently delivering coaching or capacity building sessions, ideally on MEL-related topics specifically.
- Professional or academic background in sustainability, environmental issues, agriculture, international development or other related field.
- Knowledge of international voluntary standards is desirable.
- Significant experience with databases, data management systems, and data governance considerations.
- Able to manage, analyse and visualise data in Microsoft Excel and Power BI.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and upholding credibility.
- Curious, insightful and pro-active.
We are a diverse, inclusive and multicultural organisation that's passionate about making a positive impact and creating a meaningful change - across the global sugarcane supply chain and beyond. As the world's number one sugarcane sustainability system we have an important role to play in the way we work, lead and inspire others through our convening and our certification processes. That's why our people are central to our purpose and being committed to their success and wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do.
For further information regarding our Core Principles and the components of our Culture please see here; - Our culture - Bonsucro
We offer the following benefits:
- 25 days annual entitlement plus customary holidays
Pension scheme - 8% employer contribution and 2% min employee contribution
Life Assurance - 4 times salary
Medi Cash scheme - discounted health care for dental, optician, physio etc
Hybrid working practice- working in the office 2-3 days per week
Season Ticket/Travel Loan
We are an equal opportunity employer - if you need any support or adjustments in our process,
do let us know.
We welcome applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Whilst we aim to improve the diversity of our organisation, varying costs and differing
employment regulations may mean we prioritise our recruitment and offers of employment to
preferred locations only.
For this role, we are looking for candidates already established or able to be in our local
market (UK). Attendance at the UK office will be required 2-3 days per week.
We offer hybrid, flexible working arrangements and this role is based on a 35 hour week.
Candidates must have the right to work in the jurisdiction of roles they are applying to. Not
all roles will be suitable for visa sponsorship.