Closing date: Wednesday, 31st August 2022
Who we’re looking for: We are seeking an enthusiastic and talented science
writer and editor to join our Communications Services Team.
Location: Home (UK only) or office-based in South London.
Qualifications: Candidates must be educated to degree level (2:1 or above). A
post-graduate qualification in a subject area relevant to our work is desirable.
Experience: We are looking for someone with a background in the areas of
international development, science or health communications and at least five years’ experience
in writing and editing. Experience in developing communications strategies and campaigns would
be an advantage.
Salary: £33,000, full-time (40 hours/week).
Criteria for selection and details of how to apply can be
As a writer and editor at Scriptoria you’ll engage with a wide range of international
development, science and health issues. We regularly work with the world’s leading
organisations in fields such as agriculture, water resources management, climate change and
health, among many others. Being able to develop creative content about such differing subject
areas is a crucial part of the role and what we believe makes it so interesting!
- Writing, editing and proofreading – you will write and edit copy for a wide range of
materials and subject areas.
- Providing advice on communications materials – you will advise clients and team members on
communications materials to best meet clients’ needs, choosing the right communications method
and approach for a particular message, context and audience.
- Liaising with clients and Scriptoria’s project managers to agree briefs – you will be
involved in the concept development of communications products and will write or have input
into briefs to ensure they meet clients’ needs.
- Ensuring quality standards, schedules and costs are met – you will be expected to manage
your own projects and liaise with clients. You will also have responsibility for setting and
maintaining high quality standards and ensure that all work is delivered on time and to budget.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- A minimum of five years’ experience working as a writer and editor in the areas of
international development, science and health issues. Experience in developing communications,
campaign and event strategies would be an advantage.
- A demonstrated flair for writing compelling, engaging text that effectively communicates
- A proven ability to develop and work to a brief, analyse and synthesise source materials
and convey complex and technical information to non-specialist audiences.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and cope
flexibly with a range of jobs to meet (and exceed) client expectations.
- The ability to choose the right communications method and approach for a particular
message, context and audience, and write effectively to achieve the purpose.
- Excellent attention to detail, and the ability to copyedit and proofread documents.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe applications.
- Excellent English language and communication skills and experience of dealing directly with
clients (face to face and virtually).
- Knowledge of the publishing process, different publishing media/formats and various
communications tools and methods.
- The ability to work both as a member of a team and individually.
Please send the following to Cathy Jacob at: [email protected]
- CV and one-page cover letter. In your cover letter please (1) explain briefly why you would
like to work for Scriptoria and why you think you are the kind of person we are looking for;
and (2) outline how you meet the criteria for the job, making clear reference to the numbered
list above. Please include examples of your most relevant experience, using specific examples
- Two recent examples of your writing on international development, science and/or health
- A statement of when you would be available to start work and where you saw this job
Applications should be sent to: [email protected]
Deadline: 31 August 2022
Please note: We anticipate a high level of interest in this position and will
shortlist and interview once a sufficient number of applications are received; we therefore
recommend submitting your application early. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to respond
to all applications; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Scriptoria Sustainable Development Solutions is a world-leading team of communications,
knowledge management and data analysis specialists with expertise in international development,
research, science and health. The company comprises four service-delivery teams: Consulting,
Data, Communications and Training.
Founded in 2001, we work with government agencies, donor-funded programmes, NGOs, academic
institutions and private sector initiatives to help them manage their international development
projects, capture information accurately and communicate results effectively to stakeholders.
We’re a growing, dynamic and welcoming team, who place great value in working collaboratively
and learning from each other. We all have a passion for making a difference in the world, excelling
in our service to clients, and producing content of the highest quality.