Natural Capital / Environmental Economist
Bristol Avon Rivers Trust (BART)
Home-based with travel around the Bristol Avon catchment
£25,000 - £27,600 pa dependent on experience
Natural Capital /Environmental Economist
Organisation: Bristol Avon Rivers Trust
Salary: C£25,000 - £27,600 dependant on experience
Location: Home-Based with travel around the Bristol Avon catchment
Hours: Full Time, 40 hours per week. Flexibility required (some evening & weekend
Position type: Paid
Contract: 12 Months with potential for extension
Closing date: Applications by 22nd July 2022
Contact name: Simon Hunter
Contact email: [email protected]
Bristol Avon Rivers Trust (BART) is a charity which delivers education, land and river
management advice and practical river restoration work throughout the Bristol Avon catchment.
We aim to re-connect communities to their local rivers and help them to better appreciate and
improve them for the benefit of people and wildlife.
BART aims to conserve and enhance the status of our waterbodies for current and future
The successful post holder will join a small but very ambitious team at BART to deliver a
hugely innovative programme of work linked to the development of the UK’s first freshwater
biodiversity investment model and development of a process for the UK’s very first freshwater
biodiversity code which could lead to a huge positive global impact through benefits to
enhanced freshwater biodiversity.
BART are seeking to recruit a Natural Capital/ Environmental Economist to help deliver our
programme of work on the Freshwater Biodiversity Investment Model & UK Freshwater
Biodiversity Code. The role offers the chance to work with market leading clients on the
cutting edge of the emerging conservation investment market in the UK and potentially
internationally, and to work alongside a field of environmental experts and stakeholders within
the programme. We offer an opportunity to enhance your development, while providing flexible
working from home with some travel around the Bristol Avon catchment required.
- Manage the delivery of an innovative Freshwater Biodiversity Investment Programme.
- Work with a team of conservation professionals, volunteers, and contractors to enable
successful delivery of the programme.
- Work closely with the Head of Operations to ensure project costs are in line with overall
project budgets and keep suitable records in line with the funding requirements and document
- Consult with project partners including The Rivers Trust and Federated Hermes global
- Liaise and further build strong working relationships with key stakeholders including the
Duchy of Cornwall, landowners, Bristol Water, and Bath and North East Somerset Council.
- To actively promote the Vision, Mission, and work of the Trust.
- Meet the needs of a diverse audience and to ensure the Trust’s policies, procedures and
practices are in line with legal requirements and best practice.
- Identify & manage project risks efficiently and in accordance to Trust policy.
- Maintain and grow the Trust’s partnerships, with stakeholders, delivery partners and
- Contribute and assist in the production of publicity and marketing materials.
- Produce engaging and informative communications promoting the work of the Trust (e.g.,
press releases, technical articles, media interviews etc.).
- You shall comply with BART’s Health & Safety, Safeguarding and other policies and
defined standards of behaviour.
- You may be required to perform other duties and tasks as required from time to time for the
efficient operation of the Trust.
Skills & competencies
We are looking for candidates to possess a range of the following skills and competencies:
- You will have a familiarity with market analysis, cost-benefit analysis; data-collection,
validation, and analysis; stakeholder consultation.
- You will have an interest and relevant experience in environmental economics and natural
- The ability to analyse and interrogate environmental and economic data and communicate your
findings clearly to different types of audience, including non-specialists.
- You will be self-motivated, flexible, and enthusiastic, as well as having a degree or
experience in a relevant discipline (e.g., Environmental Economics or Environmental Science and
Policy) and preferably a relevant post-graduate qualification.
- Strong organisational skills, and an ability to work on multiple workstreams simultaneously
and to deadlines.
- Excellent collaborative working skills to ensure we get the best from our working
relationships with internal and external client teams.
- Attention to detail and desire to work to high standards consistently.
- Experience of financial modelling and analysis.
- Experience of structuring and executing financial transactions for small and medium sized
- Experience in project management, client delivery, research and presentation, problem
- Proficient writing capability and presentation skills.
- Well-developed analytical skills including the ability to assimilate complex information,
identify and prioritise key issues.
- Strong IT skills, proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Enthusiastic self-starter and strong team player.
- A willingness to present ideas to peers and senior colleagues.
- Excellent communication and relationship building capabilities.
- Inquisitive and analytical approach to problem solving.
- Ability to operate in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Highly committed with the ability to take ownership of projects and to create meaningful
value for the long-term.
- We are a small team who work hard and have fun, so you’ll need energy, enthusiasm and be
able to work well independently where required.
- The position will be working from home with travel around the Bristol Avon Catchment.
- This position may from time to time require work during some evenings, weekends, and public
holidays to meet the needs of the post.
- We expect you to carry out your job responsibilities in an environmentally aware manner,
ensuring as little damage to the environment as possible. Our aim is to ensure all resources
are utilised effectively and efficiently. You will be expected to apply ‘sound value for money’
principles and follow procurement guidelines in undertaking purchasing or supply of goods and
- You shall deliver all tasks in compliance with BART’s Health & Safety, Safeguarding and
other policies and defined standards of behaviour.
Interested parties should submit a CV and a one page covering letter explaining why you would
perform well in this role and what you could bring to BART. These should be sent to: [email protected]
Interviews for this post will take place virtually during week commencing 8th or 15th August
2022 (date TBC).
Please note, due to limited resources you will only be contacted should you be successful in
gaining an interview. We would like to thank you for your interest in this position.
Thank you for your interest in applying for a role with the Bristol Avon Rivers