Position: Food, Farming and Horticulture Curriculum Tutor
Reports to: Food, Farming
and Horticulture Curriculum Manager
Salary: £25,000- £30,000 PA
Base: Dumfries House
The Prince’s Foundation provides holistic solutions to challenges facing the world
today. We champion a sustainable approach to how we live our lives and build our communities, we
run a diverse programme of education and training for all ages and backgrounds, and we regenerate
and care for places where communities thrive and that visitors enjoy.
We work nationally and
internationally but at the heart of our organisation is the heritage-led regeneration of the
Dumfries House estate and its wider community, where our principles and philosophies are explored
and put into practice.
The work of The Prince’s Foundation is inspired by The Prince of Wales’s
philosophy of harmony: that by understanding the balance, the order and the relationships between
ourselves and the natural world we can create a more sustainable future.
Programmes take place
within and beyond the charity’s sites, including at Dumfries House, with its Education Farm,
Garden, STEM Centre and Health and Wellbeing Centre, and in Shoreditch, East London and Trinity
Buoy Wharf in Tower Hamlets, London.
The post is based at Dumfries House, Cumnock,
Food Farming and
The programme is delivered through practical hands-on workshops, themed day
events and longer-term primary/lower secondary school and community engagement projects across our
Field to Fork and Farm to Fork strands, with a planned increase in delivery of skill and career
focussed workshops, events and vocational training courses to secondary schools and adults via our
Farming and Rural Skills strand.
Due to themes and existing expertise in the department a
background in Horticulture and/or Nutrition would be required of any candidate. The candidate
should however be comfortable teaching across Food, Farming, Horticulture and related subjects
out-with their area of expertise to a primary and early secondary school level, with support from
the wider education team and industry experts.
The wider education programme on Dumfries House
Estate is delivered across themes including: STEM; Food, Farming and Horticulture; Outdoor
Activity; Textiles and Building Crafts. Due to the holistic nature of the programme, the post
holder will be required to assist in these areas from time to time, take part in CPD in these areas
and work with colleagues across the education team on cross curricular education projects.
holder will assist in the development and implementation of workshops, school and community
programmes, short courses and project related education activity including large scale events and
cross curricular delivery. The post holder will prepare and deliver classes across a range of ages
as well as maintaining stakeholder relationships with industry and education partners. The post
holder will work alongside the Curriculum Manager to secure the place of The Prince’s Foundation as
a leader in high quality education in the UK.
Specific duties will include:
- Supporting the Education Director and Curriculum Manager to ensure the smooth delivery of
the Prince’s Foundation’s education strategy and core Food, Farming and Horticulture
programmes, a responsibility which will include:
- Liaising with industry practitioners across
the UK to ensure relevant course content. Keeping up to date with current practices and
policies in Food, Farming and Horticulture related education, through CPD and personal
- Support the development of strong relationships with industry and education
partners such as industry funding partners, Food, Farming and Horticulture education
organisations and charities and local authority and Scottish education representatives. Work
with these partners to enhance the Food, Farming and Horticulture offer at Dumfries House
through co-delivery and design of workshops and activities.
- Develop, support, lead and
evaluate Food, Farming and Horticulture workshops, programmes and activities, based on the
Food, Farming and Horticulture education strategy and school curriculum, with links to UK wide
education, training and employment strategies.
- Prepare, care for and maintain equipment and
facilities prior to and following education activity, monitor and request stock as appropriate.
- Ensure the Prince’s Foundation Food, Farming and Horticulture education and wider education
programme is delivered to an exceptional standard to secure The Prince’s Foundation’s position
as a focal point for high quality education.
- Further the wider education work of The Prince’s
Foundation through contribution to team meetings, joint education activity and events and cross
curricular CPD sessions
- Ensure education activity is recorded in a timely manner and
contribute to education reports for directors, partners and funders.
- Ensure all lessons are
suitable for the learners by writing, following and updating Risk Assessment documents, and
following first aid and incident reporting procedures where necessary.
- Support the Food,
Farming and Horticulture manager to ensure that the maintenance of the Pierburg Building and
Valentin’s Farm Education Centre buildings is completed, informing relevant Prince’s Foundation
staff when maintenance is required.
- Maintain familiarity with The Prince’s Foundation
handbook and relevant HR procedures.
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required
of you in the post.
It is in the nature of the work of the Prince's Foundation that tasks and
responsibilities are, in many circumstances, unpredictable and varied. All staff are therefore
expected to work in a flexible way when the occasion arises that tasks which are not
specifically covered in their Job Description must be undertaken.
essential skills, knowledge and experience required are:
- The successful candidate should be educated to degree level, or equivalent, in a relevant
Nutrition or Horticulture subject or with equivalent experience in education or industry.
- The post holder should be able to demonstrate prior experience educating and engaging with
young people or community groups through Food, Farming and/or Horticulture related activities.
- Knowledge of the future UK wide farming, horticulture and rural skills shortages, growth
industries and how this impacts employers and future employees.
- Understanding of and support for the ethos and principles underlying the Prince’s
- Knowledge of the education and training environment in relationship to schools and further
- Awareness of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Able to represent the Prince’s Foundation professionally at all times.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; planning, setting agendas, coordinating/conducting
meetings, events, and workshops.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strong organisation skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work proactively and flexibly under pressure and to achieve set objectives.
- The ability to work within a team, maintaining positive relationships with the wider
education team, yet demonstrate personal drive, accountability and ownership to deliver a high
level of output is essential.
- Ability to create high quality presentations/visual aids. Working knowledge of Microsoft
Office software (PowerPoint, Excel and Word), Windows, Adobe.
- Some travel within the UK and occasionally overseas may be necessary.
- The post will be based at Dumfries House, Cumnock, Ayrshire with the requirement to travel
on occasion. A driving licence is required for this post; mileage expenses over and above the
normal commute to and from work will be paid.
- Your working hours will be based on 37.5 hours per week linked to the target audience
needs. Job share may be considered for suitable candidates.
- Occasional lone working will be required due to the nature of the estate.
- Willingness to work occasional weekends or evenings as required for education or wider
- You must have the legal right to work in the UK.
- This post is considered to be a regulated activity therefore any offer will be subject to a
satisfactory disclosure check with the Disclosure and Barring Service.
submit a completed Application Form together with a cover letter and CV (please note one A4
page maximum each for CV and letter) to [email protected]
Closing date for
applications: Friday 8th July 2022