Whale and Dolphin Conservation
Home-based / hybrid working
£32,000 - £38,000 pa
WDC is seeking a strategic, collaborative and experienced policy expert or campaigner with the
passion to end the suffering of whales and dolphins. The successful candidate will shape and
lead our bycatch programme which aims to protect cetaceans from being caught in fishing gear, the biggest global threat to their welfare.
The role will include managing external consultants; working closely with a wide range of stakeholders including
government departments, academia, fora secretariats, fishers, NGOs, funders and the media.
Key tasks will include:
- Proactively identify and assess specific opportunities to end cetacean bycatch.
- Develop and implement an effective strategy for WDC’s bycatch programme.
- Maintain an overview of legislative and policy developments and take opportunities to
influence positive changes.
- Work with scientists and fishing industries to meet programme objectives.
- Conduct desk-based research to highlight the issue and provide bycatch solutions.
- Organise and manage field projects to trial bycatch solutions, as appropriate.
- Raise the profile of welfare impacts of cetacean bycatch.
- Monitor and report on scientific developments in bycatch.
Find out more & apply