Circular Economy and Waste Management Lead
Circular Economy and Waste Management Lead - WasteAid
Reporting to Chief Executive
Salary - Competitive
The role will be home-based with domestic travel and approx. 20% international travel.
Key Internal Relationships: Director of Programmes, Programmes Coordinator,
Director of Development, Project Managers
Reporting to the CEO this role will ensure the technical
quality of WasteAid’s programmes working closely with Director of Programmes and programmes
staff. This role will also play a strategic role in shaping WasteAid’s interventions of the
future and together with the CEO and programmes staff will build partnerships with potential
funders, global alliances and academic institutions. This role will be a part of WasteAid’s
Senior Management Team and will be key to promoting WasteAid’s work externally representing the
organisation at appropriate events and conferences.
Candidates should ideally be based in the UK, although there may be some
consideration of those based in near neighbouring European countries.
- Develop the Circular Economy and Waste Management technical function of WasteAid in line
with organizational growth leading on all technical aspects within the organisation as well as
developing WasteAid’s presence as a thought leader on circular economy (CE) and waste related
- Working with programmes staff and guided by best international practices, assess the
circular economy and waste management programme content in line with WasteAid’s strategy and
technical standards, offering technical input and advice to Director of Programmes and project
- Assess and design appropriate Circular Economy and Solid Waste Management (SWM)
interventions (in collaboration with the wider team) in WasteAid’s countries of operation and
contribute accordingly to programme/project proposals.
- As part of each project, evaluate waste-related activity progress and determine necessary
actions in short and long term and ensuring the technical elements of impact is measured
through WasteAid’s M&E system.
- Value chain analysis on waste value chain to ascertain ways of improving inclusion and
breakeven, particularly of those in the ‘first mile’ (informal waste collectors, buy back
- Develop WasteAid training tool kit for first mile business training services drawing from
existing resources and identifying local trainers.
- Maintain currency on developments in international SWM and CE approaches and how they may
be incorporated into WasteAid’s projects.
- Represent WasteAid as the principal technical expert at appropriate events and forums and
with funders, as required.
- Develop networks of technical experts to ensure that WasteAid continues its thought
leadership and collaboration in the sector
- Work with programmes staff to ensure that the WasteAid technical input is well documented
and that the institutional memory of WasteAid is preserved.
- Consistently horizon scan for project, partner and funding opportunities and share
recommendations with Senior Management Team colleagues.
- Work as part of an internal bid team as the technical expert to develop timely and
impactful programme/projects that align with individual funders’ strategies.
- Take lead in technical components of needs assessments and evaluations to inform new
- Represent WasteAid in discussions on projects and initiatives with potential funders, as
- Review programme reports and other types of reports to ensure the technical content meets
quality methodological, institutional and donor requirements.
- Support an effective monitoring and evaluation system by collection, analysis of data about
waste management issues in order to improve the programme interventions.
- Take part in field visits to assess projects from a waste management perspective and
provide support to programme team and partners as needed.
- Develop WasteAid’s advocacy pillar through an advocacy strategy and visible presence in
appropriate fora in collaboration with Senior Management Team colleagues.
- Lead on WasteAid’s work around COP27 and develop further WasteAid’s initial work around
- Take the lead on representing WasteAid at events and conferences organised by the UK and
International waste management sectors.
- Develop an online presence as a thought leader through blogs, articles and through social
Please see the information pack and application details available on our website.
Find out more & apply