Senior Principal Ecologist
Birmingham / Nottingham
£30,000 - £45,000 pa
Closing date: Wednesday, 20th July 2022
Location: Birmingham, Nottingham (flexible working arrangements including home working
Salary: £30,000 - £45,000 depending on experience
Harris Lamb are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic ecologist to join our growing
Ecology Team. You will work within our integrated ecology and planning team on a wide range of
property-related developments across the UK.
The role will be working with our team of six ecologists from an office or home location. The
role will be a good mix of office and ecology fieldwork which can necessitate working away from
home overnight during the week. The role provides significant scope for developing client
contacts through a range of social and networking events and would suit someone wishing to
build long-lasting client relationships. To develop your professional career we have a healthy
training budget to actively encourage technical and personal growth.
The role would particularly suit someone who is keen to develop a deep understanding of the
property sector who would benefit from working alongside our planning and residential agents on
projects from the early stage right through to construction and long-term management. The role
would be of particular interest to someone keen to work alongside our ecological contracting
team supporting the implementation of protected species mitigation post consent.
- Project Management - co-ordination of field surveys, managing project budgets, supporting
with client liaison and consultations with statutory and non-statutory consultees
- Ecological field surveys and coordinating and mentoring junior members of staff and
supporting improving in-field data collection techniques
- Undertaking assessment of the impacts of proposed developments (e.g. EIA and non-EIA, HRA),
developing recommendations for the mitigation of ecological impacts and devising monitoring
- Good understanding of Biodiversity Net Gain and the use of DEFRA metric
- Attending meetings with the internal team and clients.
- Supporting delivery of in-house training and client training.
- General administrative / management tasks relating to project quality, environmental
issues, and health and safety (including risk assessment), and marketing.
Capabilities & Qualifications
- Experience of working within a planning or environmental consultancy
- A relevant degree preferable full member of CIEEM
- An understanding of wildlife legislation and ecological impact assessment under the EIA
- Knowledge of plant or animal groups with a specialism
- Excellent commercial and project management skills
- Ability to support coordination of a survey team of ecologists
- Full driving licence
Successful candidates with the required skills and experience will be rewarded with a
competitive salary and benefits package. You can expect:
- To work in a friendly environment with excellent opportunities to learn about the property
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance;
- Generous support package for professional development through both internal and external
- Generous car allowance;
- Payment of membership fees to relevant professional body;
- The opportunity to work with, and help in developing our use of, new and exciting
technologies in the field;
- To be encouraged to have your say on how the company aims are delivered;
- Contributions to a pension;
- Flexible working including options for home working;
- Company-funded regular staff social events throughout the year.
Submit your CV to:
Find out more & apply