Senior / Principal Ecologist
Hybrid / Flexible Working
£40,000 - £45,000 pa + car or allowance
ecology, conservation & wildlife
Closing date: Thursday, 30th June 2022
3 days left
Senior / Principal Ecologist - UK Wide
£40,000 - £45,000 + Benefits
Hybrid Working / Company Car or Allowance / 28 Days Holiday + 8 Bank Holidays
Milestone Infrastructure is a part of the Transport Division within M Group Services. We
currently deliver highways and street lighting maintenance contracts and a variety of large,
complex, civil engineering projects across southern and central England.
Milestone Infrastructure Ltd is looking to recruit a Senior/Principal Ecologist.
You will be responsible for leading and developing the ecology function within an Environmental
Technical Team. You will oversee and manage ecological aspects across a range of highways
infrastructure projects to ensure delivery meets client expectations, whilst proactively
identifying opportunities to achieve the best outcomes. You will work with an entry-level
Ecologist and other consultants to provide and co-ordinate a full range of ecological services
ranging from specialist habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity
mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity.
- Managing projects, attending meetings, supporting the technical manager with the day to day
running of the team, providing advice to clients and managing business development.
- Having responsibility for technical quality / approval of project deliverables.
- Undertaking ecological surveys, overseeing/undertaking the analysis of results of field
- Managing and/or producing Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEAs), impact assessments,
biodiversity strategies and other documents.
- Providing advice on ecological issues, both at an in-depth level within own area of
expertise but also on a broad range of issues.
- Compiling licence applications, including developing mitigation and monitoring strategies.
- Undertaking/supervising mitigation and monitoring of licensed work and liaising with
- Undertaking management of ecology team and providing training at staff meetings and to
smaller groups of staff.
- Represent and promote Milestone Infrastructure internally and externally at meetings,
workshops, management reviews and forums.
- Managing an entry-level Ecologist by providing appropriate direction, supporting their
development, and helping to co-ordinate their workload to meet utilisation targets.
- Actioning contract ecological risks and opportunities.
- Successful project management of ecological issues and licenses, resulting in timely
- Quality of ecological survey and technical reports.
- Effective communication and engagement with Design and Operational Teams
- Improvements made via biodiversity net gain assessments.
- Delivery of effective ecology training.
- Communication and engagement with contract teams and the supply chain.
- Collaboration with the wider environment team to deliver the Milestone Infrastructure
Environment & Sustainability Strategy.
- Effectiveness of work winning and business development activities in supporting the growth
of the ecology function.
- Development and performance of team members.
Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
- A degree in Ecology (or directly related subject).
- Full member of CIEEM, ideally a Chartered Environmentalist/Ecologist.
- A minimum of 5 years of working in the ecology industry.
- Experience in field surveys including Phase 1 habitat survey assessments including UK
Habitat Classification assessment, BNG condition assessment and protected species surveys.
- Detailed knowledge of ecological principles, biodiversity metrics, relevant environmental
and ecological impact assessment (EcIA) legislation, policy and guidance.
- Proven track record in writing and delivering Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEAs),
writing and/or delivering Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) assessments, Ecological Impact
Assessments (EcIAs) and Ecology Chapters for Environmental Statements which have been
- Hold survey and/or mitigation/conservation licences, particularly bat and great crested
- Holder of Low Impact Class licences desirable.
- Attention to detail and the ability to deliver contracts on time and to budget.
- Ability to line manage a wider team.
- Excellent business development skills with drive and ambition to grow these key areas.
- Experience in the UK ecological consultancy sector, with a client-orientated approach.
- Ambition and capability to encourage innovation and digital services throughout the
- Practical and pragmatic approach in delivering ecological solutions.
- Willingness to travel across the UK and stay away from home for short periods when
What’s in it for you?
- £40,000 - £45,000 per annum (dependent on knowledge and experience)
- 28 days' Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays
- Company Car or Car Allowance with fuel card option
- Pension scheme
- Health care package
As a business, people are at the heart of everything we do, whether they are our people, our
clients, or the communities they serve. We are committed to behaving with integrity and in a
sustainable manner, being mindful to the needs of our communities and the environment. Our
people are our greatest strength and ensuring their health, safety and wellbeing is our top
priority. We invest in our workforce, engaging and empowering them, helping them to grow and
develop with opportunities to train and learn.
Find out more & apply