Senior / Principal Ecologist
Bolton, Greater Manchester, with option of home working
£31,000 - £35,000+ pa dependent on experience
Closing date: Not specified, apply soon!
Appletons are a long-established environmental and landscape architectural consultancy based in
the north west of England. We are involved with challenging and interesting projects at both
pre planning and construction stages on behalf of our clients which includes provision of
ecological services. We have a broad base of clients including private, public and
environmental charities. We are seeking an experienced ecologist to join our growing ecology
The role of experienced Senior / Principal Ecologist
You will be an ecologist with several years of professional experience, capable of taking on
and running projects some of which will be large and potentially complex. You will be well
grounded in the principles of ecology and have a thorough understanding of lowland habitats and
species. You will be expected to play a part in the running of the ecology side of the
consultancy, having a proactive approach, good business instincts and a flair for organisation.
Ethical considerations will be important to you.
Location: North West/ North Manchester/ Bolton
Competitive salary: £31-35K+ dependent on experience.
- Co-ordinating with other staff to deliver a busy survey programme.
- Preparing fee proposals, managing and delivering projects of varying size.
- Building and maintaining strong client relationships.
- Preparing EcIAs, technical reports, tenders.
- Proven experience of the EIA/AA process, EPS licence applications and Biodiversity Net Gain
- Critically reviewing and checking technical reports from other staff members.
- Designing and preparing effective species mitigation proposals and management plans.
- Survey work including Bat, Badger, Water Vole, Newt, Reptile and Bird.
Other essential skills, experience and personality we are looking for in a candidate
- An honours/masters degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Associate or full member of CIEEM;
- Holder of protected species survey licences (level 1/2 bat licence and level 1 GCN
- Holder of European protected species mitigation license/ named ecologist on EPS licenses;
- Experience of undertaking a range of habitat and protected species surveys including
extended phase 1 habitat surveys, botanical surveys including Phase 2 and National Vegetation
Classification (NVC) surveys and phase 2 protected species surveys in accordance with
recognised best practice guidelines;
- Confident in liaising directly with clients, local planning authorities, Natural England
and subcontractors whilst demonstrating excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of European and national nature conservation
legislation and UK planning policy;
- Current, full UK driving licence.
In return, the successful candidate can expect to receive a number of benefits
- Competitive salary £31 – 35K+ dependent on experience;
- Option to work either part-time or full-time;
- Flexible working arrangements with the option to work from home;
- Use of a company work van;
- Use of a work mobile phone;
- Flexible TOIL Scheme;
- Contributory Pension Scheme;
- Payment of professional membership fees.
The opportunity to work in a positive, friendly, relaxed working environment with a small team
of passionate, good humoured and like-minded individuals.
To apply for the position, please send your CV along with covering letter detailing experience
to: [email protected].
If you would like to discuss the opportunity informally, please also initially contact Lorna
Cruice on 07970 729235.