Project Coordinator - Forest Governance Policy
Project Coordinator – Forest Governance Policy
- Location: Flexibly within the UK, Brussels or SE Asia
- Contract: consultancy contract
BirdLife International is the world’s largest nature conservation partnership. Through our
unique local-to-global approach, we deliver high impact and long-term conservation for the
benefit of nature and people.
We are looking for someone who will be able to work with BirdLife Partners to support the
coordination and finalisation of a major, five year (2017-2022) forest governance initiative,
funded by the European Commission, aimed at building the capacity of civil society
organisations in the Asia-Pacific region to participate effectively in forest monitoring,
management, planning and policy processes. The focal countries of the project are Malaysia,
Indonesia, Philippines and Papua New Guinea
This is a short-term contract for an experienced individual to rapidly engage with and support
the final stages of the project, which ends in July 2022, and the subsequent six-month
close-out period; ideally you will be able to dedicate hours equivalent to full time until the
end of July, switching to a maximum of 18 hours per week for the close-out period.
Main Tasks and Activities:
Project planning, coordination, sustainability and evaluation
- Support implementation and wrapping-up of the €5 million EC-funded Asia-Pacific Forest
Governance initiative in the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea (project end
date 14 July 2022, with six-month close out period to complete reporting, auditing and final
evaluation following this)
- Support internal and external evaluation and reporting of the Asia-Pacific Forest
Governance initiative, including final reporting, auditing and terminal evaluation
- Support the Project Manager to coordinate project management meetings and information
sharing between project partners
- Liaise with the project partners and coordinate with the SPI and Partnership, Communities
and Capacity Development teams to ensure effective implementation of project exit strategy and
outreach and uptake of science/policy outputs by national stakeholders and sustainability of
- Coordinate with the Global Forest Policy Coordinator and Communications team to support
promotion of project policy and communications materials
- COVID19 restrictions depending, support the Project Manager and partner(s) to deliver final
in-country project team meeting and technical workshops
Budget and financial management
- Work with the Project Manager, project partners and Finance team to analyse, monitor and
review the project’s budget and spending in line with funder rules
- Manage the project budget against forecast and estimated costs, maintaining a project
expenditure tracking system, ensure that exceptions are identified, justified, mitigated and
approved, and coordinate with the Finance team and project partners to ensure efficient and
timely completion of project audits
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of funder compliance requirements and provide support
to programme teams and partners to meet such requirements, including developing funder
- Review and update the risk register for project management purposes
You will have initiative and appropriate experience to help ensure the timely and successful
completion of this exciting project. Including:
- Finance and project management qualifications, or significant on-the-job experience.
- Knowledge of the conservation and/or forestry sectors.
- Familiarity with project administration and management frameworks, ideally in an area
related to conservation/development/ forest governance.
- Sound financial acumen.
- Substantial work experience in project administration and project reporting, with a proven
track record of budget management.
Applications should include a covering letter summarising the
applicant’s experiences relating to this opportunity, a detailed CV and contact details of two
referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity. You should also provide an
indication of your fees. Applications should be sent by email: [email protected] marking your application with
“Project Coordinator – Forest Governance Policy” in the subject line.
Shortlisting for this opportunity will take place as applications are received. We therefore
reserve the right to close this opportunity once a suitable applicant has been engaged.
Interviews: Only shortlisted applications will be contacted.
Find out more & apply