Clean Trucks Director
Transport & Environment (T&E)
Ideally Brussels, Belgium
€58,000 - €65,000 based on experience
Transport & Environment
(T&E), Europe's leading clean transport think tank and campaign group, is
looking to strengthen its leadership team with a director to lead Europe’s most important
clean freight programme. Fast growing emissions from trucks and vans now
account for a quarter of transport emissions in Europe.
As T&E Clean Trucks Director you will design a winning strategy to decarbonise
goods transport in Europe. You’ll be leading a team of 3 in Brussels and coordinate
the work of our partners at national level.
Specifically, you will:
- Lead on building and implementing T&E’s EU regulatory and political strategy focusing
on key regulations such as the EU truck, bus and van CO2 standards, EURO VII standards, truck
infrastructure regulations, pricing instruments & test procedure development.
- Lead a growing team of policy and analytical staff, overseeing their professional
development and guiding their work to achieve T&E’s clean trucks priorities.
- Support the building and implementation of national strategies in key national markets such
as Germany, France and the UK.
- Further develop T&E’s advocacy strategy towards high level EU and national regulators,
politicians, and media, presenting at high level meetings and events across Europe.
- Lead on T&E’s efforts to build partnerships with key freight industry players such as
hauliers, logistics companies and leading shippers.
- Commissioning and delivery of impactful research (including market research, testing etc).
The successful candidate should meet the following requirements:
- Five to ten years of relevant experience in either the clean transport business or (EU)
advocacy - ideal candidates have both or will convince us they can learn the other skill very
- The ability to develop short, medium and long term strategies designed to create change in
a complex and at times conservative industry.
- Proven leadership skills and an effective coaching and management style.
- Experience in coordinating joint projects across multi-stakeholder networks.
- A positive, can-do attitude with high work autonomy
- The ability to understand and communicate complex issues clearly and with impact.
- A solid grasp of the EU political system and the role of member states in EU decision
- A proven record of cultivating contacts and building lasting alliances
- Fluency in English, other European languages would be an asset.
- The position will be primarily based in Brussels but would involve travel to key EU
capitals. Strong candidates based in other locations will be considered, but the post holder
will require to frequently travel to Brussels.
- T&E will offer you a competitive salary in line with your experience and expertise,
extensive benefits, and exceptional flexibility. T&E have offices in several EU countries,
and we’re open to flexible working arrangements including part-time home working.
- Equally importantly, if you join T&E you’ll have the opportunity to devote your
professional energy and creativity to the resolution of one of mankind's greatest challenges.
About Transport &
T&E is Europe's
leading clean transport campaign group. Our vision is a zero-emissions mobility system that is
affordable and has minimal impacts on our health and environment. Since we were created 30
years ago, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws. We got the EU
to set the world's most ambitious CO2 standards for cars and trucks but also helped uncover the
Dieselgate scandal; we campaigned successfully to end palm oil diesel, secured a global ban on
dirty shipping fuels and the creation of the aviation ETS, the world's largest carbon market
for aviation to name just a few.
We combine the power of robust, science-based evidence and a deep understanding of transport
with powerful communications and impactful advocacy. Our staff in Brussels, Rome, Madrid,
Berlin, Warsaw and London collaborate with our 60 national member and supporter organisations.
All together our members and supporters represent more than 3.5 million people.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach you
would bring to the role, along with your CV/resume in English BY EMAIL ONLY, to Karem Armstrong
at [email protected]
Please ensure that documents are sent with the titles “your name cover letter”
and “your name CV” and state "T&E Freight Director” in
the email subject line. Please let us know, in your covering email, where you found out about
The deadline for application is Sunday May 29th, 2022
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In
recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of
race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.