Thames Project Manager
£30,316 pa (inclusive of London Weighting)
conservation & wildlife
Closing date: Sunday, 29 January 2017
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL is seeking a Project Manager to take lead responsibility for a series of Greater Thames Estuary conservation projects involving intensive aquatic fieldwork and liaison with relevant partners and stakeholders to meet all project objectives and goals. The successful candidate will lead on identifying Thames-based conservation project opportunities and contribute to their development.Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creating and delivering the project implementation plans, ensuring that all activities meet the project aims and objectives.
- Working with fellow project managers and programme managers as appropriate, to manage and maintain relationships with all project partners.
- Reporting on finances and project progress to project donors, ensuring that donor expectations are met.
- Working with fellow project managers and programme managers as appropriate, to contribute to the production of project specific fundraising proposals.
- Working with their line manager to contribute to staffing of the project by assisting with the recruitment, safe working, direct or indirect line management and support of the project team.
- Represent ZSL in the media and at national and international conferences and workshops as needed, and will be expected to deliver talks and presentations to a range of audiences;
- Ensuring that members of the project team follow administrative processes as necessary. In particular that health and safety processes are followed, that all project records are logged accurately in the ZSL Projects Database and that project reports are completed in a timely fashion.
- Experience in the planning, funding and implementation and reporting of conservation projects.
- MSc or higher qualification in an appropriate field is desirable
- Experience in managing relationships with donors is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English.
- An ability to communicate with energy and enthusiasm regarding specific projects.
- Computer literacy in MS office packages, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint and also GIS.
- An ability to manage competing priorities is important.
- An ability to use tact and diplomacy.
- A full UK driving licence is essential.
- Experience of boat handing in coastal waters is desirable.
- Strong aquatic field skills are also desirable.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button on the ZSL website. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 29th January 2017.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
when responding to this ad.